Friday 30 November 2012

The World Travel Mart

Its been almost a month now since I attended the WTM in London, and I can still feel the buzz running thru me.
It was my first time attending the world travel mart and the intention was two fold, one being to promote my beautiful country Malaysia in particular Langkawi the magical island and the other being wanting to learn more on social media and blogging.




It was indeed an overwhelming experience and I just don't know where to start. It really felt like I traveled most parts of the world all in just 4 days.

The jet lag was definitely kicking at the early part of the day but once everything kicked in the vibes were in full force for my friends from Malaysia and I.








The stands were beautifully created by each country showcasing their own unique features and also promoting culture, tradition and of course food. There is so much to see and from traditional performances to traditional massages. From belly dancers from Egypt, to masseurs from the Maldives.



The ever so popular "Gangnam style" was a crowd puller at the Korea stand with its high techie robots dancing to the tune in perfect choreography.




Art and handicrafts were also a way of showing a uniqueness of a country as was evident at the Malaysia stand where the artist painted "batik" which means printing in wax... wax is dripped on fabric and then dyed to your own colour and design... It was simply amazing.... Also at the Langkawi stand there was Amanda our coffee painter who is extremely talented, she paints with pure crushed coffee beans from all over the world.






When it came to handicrafts I was mesmerised by the hand made jewellery done by a Kazakhstan designer, it was so pretty I wanted to take it home with me but unfortunately it wasn't on sale. I also later learnt about the Silk Road Project for these countries and want to be apart of this somehow but never got around to speaking to the right people. These parts of the world will captivate you, heart and soul and is definitely on my to visit list!



The other thing that I found pretty common was beauty queens parading around the aisles, so elegant and poised I couldn't help but take a photo with Miss Panama .....




There was an award for the best stand and that was won by Honduras, when I entered I understood why they won, it was as if I was traveling in a time machine and it just transported me directly to Honduras. Well deserved award. I even managed to get a picture with the minister herself.








India and Sri Lanka didn't fall short with their cultural performances and costumes which was what made the place even more lively than it already was.





I went for a few seminars during the show on blogging and social media which I thought were extremely useful and through twitter was able to meet up with fellow bloggers alike with different interests and so on... The show also made me decide which countries to visit while I was in London and I decided to go with Madrid and Amsterdam. ...... Stories coming up soon.

All in All WTM is where you meet the world and it is truly beneficial for all tourism sectors be it the ministry or the travel agent or the tour operator or airline company, there's something for all to gain from. Just like how I gained knowledge on social media.

I will return for sure next year... See ya soon WTM 2013





Location:London Excel

1 comment: